What is vaginismus? Symptoms and methods of treatment
Vaginismus , which is one of the most common sexual dysfunctions in women , is more common in Far Eastern countries and in our country compared to Western countries. This problem, which is seen in two out of every 100 women, can be treated in a short time when diagnosed. Women who have vaginismus problem think that there is a deficiency in their sexual identity and feel guilty towards their spouses. Untreated vaginismus disease causes couples to diverge from each other, leading to serious familial problems up to divorce.
What is vaginismus?
Well, what does vaginismus mean , one of the most striking problems among gynecological diseases ? In vaginismus disease , which is defined as the inability of a woman to have sexual intercourse against her will despite the desire to have sexual intercourse, the woman contracts herself and prevents the penis from entering the vagina. This disease, which has nothing to do with the narrow or small vagina, is a state of involuntary contraction during intercourse. Having a flexible and muscular structure, the muscles in the vagina contract uncontrollably and prevent sexual intercourse. Involuntary contractions can occur only in the vagina or in the whole body. Women with vaginismus usually do not allow intercourse by closing their legs tightly.
Types of vaginismus
Vaginismus disease is classified according to the period of the woman’s sexual life. As it can be seen in women who have sexual intercourse for the first time, it can also be seen in women who have a vaginismus problem while their sexual life is normal. The disease is divided into two as primary vaginismus and secondary vaginismus .
Inability to have sexual intercourse due to the contraction of the vagina during the first sexual intercourse is defined as the primary vaginismus problem. Women in this class also have a problem of contraction against anything that enters the vagina. They cannot have a vaginal examination, they cannot put suppositories or drugs into the vagina. The underlying cause of primary vaginismus disease is fear of the first night.
Fear also lies at the basis of secondary vaginismus disease, which occurs as a result of traumas such as a painful gynecological examination, abortion, abortion, and a difficult birth in a woman whose sexual life is normal.
Causes of vaginismus
- The false and exaggerated information the woman hears from the environment about the fear of the first night, the hymen, the concept of honor, and sexuality become subconscious and prevent her from having sexual intercourse.
- Situations such as excessive pain during the first sexual intercourse, bleeding, forced sexual intercourse by the partner, rape cause vaginismus in the future.
- Traumas such as sexual abuse, harassment or rape, exposure to domestic incest, witnessing the sexual relations of their parents, fear of the moment of birth or watching the birth video can prevent them from establishing sexual intercourse in the future.
- The causes of vaginismus are the woman’s feeling of inadequate, unsuccessful and hopelessness, excessive stress, anxiety and panic structure.
- Psychological disorders that cause problems in body perception and in women who do not like their body are also among the reasons that make sexual intercourse difficult.
- Short vagina, a curtain in the vagina
- Structural defects in the hymen, such as the hymen being thicker and harder than normal, having higher edges
- Vaginal infections
- Bartholin’s cyst and abscess
- Pelvic Inflammatory Disease
- Vulvar Vestibulitis Disease.
What are vaginismus treatment methods?
Vaginismus is a disease that can be treated 100%. The patient’s acceptance of the vaginismus problem and confrontation with this problem affects the success of the treatment. In order for the person to want to be treated and to get rid of negative thoughts in his mind, it is important to have an experienced and expert gynecologist. However, gynecologist alone is not enough to treat the disease. Vaginismus treatment is a special condition that requires teamwork. In the first stage of the disease, gynecological examination of the patient is made to find out if there is any structural problem. If the hymen is too hard and thick, the hymen can be removed to facilitate sexual intercourse. Afterwards, with the help of a psychologist and psychiatrist specialized in sexual therapy, the symptoms of depression and the causes of sexual reluctance in the patient are examined.